Bangladesh launches campaign to demolish unsafe buildings
Bangladesh on Monday launched a campaign to demolish buildings with faulty designs.
Dhaka: Bangladesh on Monday launched a
campaign to demolish buildings with faulty designs and
dilapidated structures after a major collapse that killed 25
people was followed by a series of mishap scares.
"We have started demolishing the seven-storey
building at Tejgaon area as it tilted three days ago,"
spokesman of regulatory Rajdhani Unnayan Kartripakkha (RAJUK)
Shah Alam told PTI.
Last week, a five-storey structure collapsed at the
neighborhood, killing the 25 people.
Public relation officer of Dhaka City Corporation
(DCC) Abdur Rahman said the municipal authority too began
compilation of its reports and research findings on the old
and dilapidated buildings which exposed several million
inmates to dangers.
The development came a day after a 22-storey building
developed cracks at Shantinagar area in the city, spreading
panic all around, and prompting its immediate evacuation and
disconnection of its power, gas and water supplies.
After hours of thorough examinations experts,
however, declared the 22-storey building "safe for living"
saying cracks were developed in outer or "false" structure of
the building which did not affect its main structure.
Disaster Management Minister Abdur Razzaque told
reporters late yesterday that the inter-ministerial also
decided to constitute a high-powered task force to identify
the risky buildings and recommend their demolition.
Public works minister Abdul Mannan Khan in an
interview later with the state-run BSS also conveyed the
government decision saying the government also decided to take
punitive actions against owners of risky installations for
violation of building codes.
A private research group recently said that nearly
10,000 buildings were exposed to high risk while experts have
long been warning that a moderately heavy earthquake could
cause havoc largely because of the dilapidated structures,
particularly in old part.