Bangladesh main oppn calls for nationwide shutdown tomorrow
Dhaka: Bangladesh`s main opposition BNP called for a nationwide shutdown on Thursday after police fired tear gas shells and rubber bullets to break up anti-government protests, injuring scores.
Police fired rubber bullets and teargas shells at a BNP demonstration after being attacked by activists of Jamaat-e-Islami at Nayapaltan.
Senior BNP leaders including its joint secretary general Amanullah Aman and standing committee member Nazrul Islam Khan also received rubber bullets as police tried to disperse them from a demonstration venue.
Leaders and activists of the main opposition gathered in front of the party`s headquarters at Nayapaltan for a previously announced demonstration.
While the programme was going on, several hundred activists of Jamaat-e-Islami (JI), a crucial ally of BNP, suddenly came out of lanes near the BNP office and launched an attack of policemen.
All of a sudden, they hurled cocktails at the policemen, who were posted near the rally venue.
Police responded by firing rubber bullets and teargas shells at the attackers. At least 100 people were injured in the police action.
"They ran towards the BNP rally as chased by police creating a chaotic situation that spoiled the rally," a photojournalist who witnessed the violence said.
The Bangladesh Nationalist Party called another day-long general strike tomorrow in response to police action.
"We are calling a nationwide dawn to dusk hartal tomorrow protesting the police excesses," BNP`s acting secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir told a unscheduled briefing inside the party central office after the clashes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi