Bangladesh mourns 1975 assassination of Mujibur
Dhaka: Bangladesh on Wednesday mourned the assassination of its founding father Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman along with most of his family members on this day in 1975.
Army bugles played the last post while a contingent of troops offered an honour guard as a mark of respect at his grave.
A group of disgruntled military officers killed him 37 years ago when the country’s post independence Awami League government was also toppled.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, one of the two daughters of the assassinated president who survived the 1975 Army putsch, flew to her father’s grave at his Tungipara village home in south-western Bangladesh in an Air Force helicopter.
Accompanied by her younger sister Sheikh Rehana, Hasina placed wreaths on the grave, offered prayers and stood in solemn silence for some time.
Senior colleagues in the government and ruling Awami League, chiefs of three armed services and leaders belong to the Awami League-led grand alliance stood by her.
Tens of thousands of people also paid homage to Bangabandhu’s memories thronging at his private residence, now turned as a museum.
Sheikh Mujib, fondly called Bangabandhu or `friend of Bengal` was assassinated along with his wife, three sons including a 10-year old one, and two daughters-in-law in a predawn military raid at his 32, Dhanmandi residence four years after the country’s independence from Pakistan.
Six of the convicts were hanged in 2010 after the apex court eventually rejected the appeals while they failed to obtain the presidential clemency but another six who were tried in absentia are still on the run abroad to evade justice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre