Bangladesh mourns 1975 assassination of Mujibur
Dhaka: Bangladesh on Wednesday mourned the assassination of its founding father Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman along with most of his family members on this day in 1975.
Army bugles played the last post while a contingent of troops offered an honour guard as a mark of respect at his grave.
A group of disgruntled military officers killed him 37 years ago when the country’s post independence Awami League government was also toppled.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, one of the two daughters of the assassinated president who survived the 1975 Army putsch, flew to her father’s grave at his Tungipara village home in south-western Bangladesh in an Air Force helicopter.
Accompanied by her younger sister Sheikh Rehana, Hasina placed wreaths on the grave, offered prayers and stood in solemn silence for some time.
Senior colleagues in the government and ruling Awami League, chiefs of three armed services and leaders belong to the Awami League-led grand alliance stood by her.
Tens of thousands of people also paid homage to Bangabandhu’s memories thronging at his private residence, now turned as a museum.
Sheikh Mujib, fondly called Bangabandhu or `friend of Bengal` was assassinated along with his wife, three sons including a 10-year old one, and two daughters-in-law in a predawn military raid at his 32, Dhanmandi residence four years after the country’s independence from Pakistan.
Six of the convicts were hanged in 2010 after the apex court eventually rejected the appeals while they failed to obtain the presidential clemency but another six who were tried in absentia are still on the run abroad to evade justice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you