Bangladesh mourns assassination of country`s founding father
Dhaka: Black flags dotted Bangladesh`s skyline as the country on Thursday observed the National Mourning Day, recalling the nation`s founding father Sheikh Mujibur Rahman`s assassination along with most of his family members.
Thousands joined the mourning in rain soaked capital wearing black badges as army bugles played the last post while a combined military contingent offered ceremonial honour guards at the same house, where a section of army officers carried out the carnage in a pre-dawn swoop 38 years ago.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, Bangabandhu`s surviving daughter, along with President Abdul Hamid placed wreaths on his grave at his village home at Tingipara in southwestern Faridpur while thousands thronged his residence at Dhanmandi area of the capital to pay their homage.
National flags were kept half mast across the country while the government declared it a public holiday to mark August 15 as the Mourning Day.
A total of 18 people, including Bangabandhu`s wife Begum Fazilattunesa and their three sons, were killed in the putsch on August 15, 1975 that also toppled Bangladesh`s post-independence Awami League government.
Hasina and her younger sister Sheikh Rehana survived the coup as they were abroad at that time.
Bangladesh executed five of the 11 convicted persons involved in the massacre who were earlier protected under a notorious indemnity law enacted by the post-1975 regime, which also had rewarded the killers with diplomatic assignments abroad.
Three years ago, Hasina promised to bring back the rest six convicted killers of her father and the family members, saying "we will run in the rest of the convicted killers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'