Bangladesh mourns founding father`s 1975 assassination
Dhaka: Bangladesh on Saturday mourned the death of its founding father Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, who was assassinated 34 years ago in a military putsch, with people raising black flags on their houses.
The national flag was at half-mast and Army bugles played the last post as President Zilllur Rahman and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, daughter of Mujibur Rahman, placed wreaths on his portrait at Bangabandhu Bhaban.
Black flags appeared to dominate the skyline in the capital as a contingent drawn from three armed services reversed arm in homage.
Despite a downpour, thousands of mourners thronged the Bangabandhu Bhaban in Dhaka to pay their homage to the Father of the Nation.
The inclement weather, however, forced the Premier to scrap her planned flight in an Army helicopter to the grave of her father at his village home in western Gopalganj.
Hasina`s cabinet colleagues, leaders of her ruling Awami League and senior civil and military officials offered wreaths on the grave and prayed for his eternal peace.
Party activists at different city wards played Bangabandhu`s famous March 7, 1971 speech to prepare the nation for independence.
The right-wing Khaleda Zia led government had declined to acknowledge the day as an occasion of national mourning during its 2001-2006 rule. However, the last interim regime re-designated it as the National Mourning Day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Philippines police chief says 300 officers involved in drugs
- Nissan may introduce electric sports car by 2020
- PM Modi condoles former Singapore President Nathan's death
- No. 1 in Tests: Pakistan cricket team's rise completes journey from isolation to triumph
- Oh fresh! Check out Ranveer Singh, Vaani Kapoor's chemistry in this latest still from 'Befikre'