Bangladesh objects to EU`s criticism on ethnic violence
Dhaka: Bangladesh on Sunday termed the European Union`s statement alleging human rights abuses in the Chittagong Hill Tracts (CHT) as "unfortunate" and "not based on facts" and urged EU to "behave responsibly".
The Foreign Ministry in a statement said that "baseless" statements could lead to a deterioration of a volatile situation in the hill tracts.
"The government of Bangladesh wishes to state that the issuance of such a statement is unfortunate considering that, prima facie, it is not based on any actual fact-finding exercise on the part of EU or any consultation with the government of Bangladesh."
Saida Muna Taseem, director general in-charge of external publicity, said: "As such, it does not offer any corroborating evidence in support of the allegations raised."
Six people have been killed, several injured, scores of houses burnt and four places of worship vandalised in the violence between Buddhist tribals, who are the indigenous people of the region, and the Muslim settlers.
The EU two days ago expressed concern at alleged violations of human rights in the violence that took place on February 19-20 at Baghaichhari in Rangamati hill district.
Dhaka said people found responsible for instigating or committing acts of violence in the CHT will be brought to book.
"Baseless and unfounded statements do not help the process; they rather encourage those who choose to instigate instability," the Foreign Ministry statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof