Bangladesh observes Ziaur Rahman`s death anniversary
Dhaka: Bangladesh is on Monday observing the 30th anniversary of the assassination of president Ziaur Rahman, the war of independence hero whose role as the military strongman changed the course of the country.
He emerged on the political scene as the martial law administrator when a military-led coup Aug 15, 1975, led to the assassination of the country`s founding leader and president, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, and the massacre of his family members and some cabinet ministers.
Popularly known as Zia, he was the president of Bangladesh from 1977 to 1981. He was killed in a military coup in the early hours of May 30, 1981.
He was a Pakistan Army major March 25, 1971, when authorities in erstwhile East Pakistan launched a campaign against the winners of the 1970 general election led by Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
Mujib was taken prisoner, but before that, he gave a call for independence and separation from Pakistan.
Zia broadcast the independence declaration on a small radio transmitter and joined the movement.
His widow and former prime minister Khaleda Zia Sunday returned from a tour of the US and Britain. She is currently the leader of the opposition in Parliament.
New Age newspaper said she would distribute gifts among the poor to mark his memory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days