`Bangladesh on US strategic radar`
Dhaka: Secretary of State Hillary Clinton`s visit to Dhaka has "formally brought Bangladesh on the strategic radar of the US", said a leading Bangladeshi daily on Monday.
An editorial in the Daily Star said the visit has been significant in more ways than one.
"It has, for one thing, moved the level of bilateral relationship to a higher degree and, for another, formally brought Bangladesh on the strategic radar of the US. (Hillary) Clinton`s comments covered both the internal political situation as well as the strategic compulsions," it said.
The daily said that notable in Hillary`s comments is the urgency for "resolution of conflictive issues ... and stimulation of such a state that would see politics and economy complement each other for a holistic growth of the country".
The editorial went on to say that Hillary`s "call for dialogue to find solutions to seemingly intractable issues finds strong resonance among the right thinking ones too".
"Certainly, hartal, and the violence associated with it, as we have seen in very recent times, as well as in the past, can only exacerbate the situation and not solve it. It is not only the poor that are the worst sufferers, it discourages foreign investment too, something which Bangladesh needs so badly," it said.
The editorial stressed that the most significant issue addressed during the visit is "the commitment of both countries to meet annually for consultations on various issues of mutual concern and addressing them to their mutual benefits".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS