`Bangladesh on US strategic radar`
Dhaka: Secretary of State Hillary Clinton`s visit to Dhaka has "formally brought Bangladesh on the strategic radar of the US", said a leading Bangladeshi daily on Monday.
An editorial in the Daily Star said the visit has been significant in more ways than one.
"It has, for one thing, moved the level of bilateral relationship to a higher degree and, for another, formally brought Bangladesh on the strategic radar of the US. (Hillary) Clinton`s comments covered both the internal political situation as well as the strategic compulsions," it said.
The daily said that notable in Hillary`s comments is the urgency for "resolution of conflictive issues ... and stimulation of such a state that would see politics and economy complement each other for a holistic growth of the country".
The editorial went on to say that Hillary`s "call for dialogue to find solutions to seemingly intractable issues finds strong resonance among the right thinking ones too".
"Certainly, hartal, and the violence associated with it, as we have seen in very recent times, as well as in the past, can only exacerbate the situation and not solve it. It is not only the poor that are the worst sufferers, it discourages foreign investment too, something which Bangladesh needs so badly," it said.
The editorial stressed that the most significant issue addressed during the visit is "the commitment of both countries to meet annually for consultations on various issues of mutual concern and addressing them to their mutual benefits".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you