Bangladesh orders investigation into temple burglary
Dhaka: Bangladesh authorities on Monday launched an investigation into the theft at the country`s Dhakeswari National Temple here, a day after burglars broke into the worship place and stole huge amount of golden and silver ornaments.
"We have ordered an extensive investigation, which is now underway," Inspector General of Police Hassan Mahmud Khondker said.
The police chief said the law enforcement agencies have found the case to be a "simple burglary". However, he refused to go into details.
Temple officials and police said the thieves entered the temple from the backside of the complex adjacent to the Engineering University campus while police and temple guards kept a vigil on the front side.
Witnesses said elite anti-crime Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) troops and policemen cordoned off the temple complex as plainclothesmen collected evidence from the scene as political leaders and senior government officials visited the area.
The officer-in-charge of the local police station said they arrested the temple`s night guard and three other employees for interrogation.
"They stole the gold and silver ornaments weighing about 200 bhoris adorned on Goddess Durga, some Taka 4.5 lakh in cash and charity boxes full of uncounted amount of money," Bangladesh Puja Celebration Committee Dipu Sen said.
"They did not damage or stole the deities," he said. This is the third incident of temple theft in the capital. Thieves stole some valuables from the city`s Baredeswari Temple on December 12, Joykali Mandir on December 22 and another temple in the same month but the incidents were not widely reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- From Swift Dzire, to a BMW: It's dream come true, says PV Sindhu after receiving second car from Sachin Tendulkar
- Narendra Modi's big plan for PoK refugees in India – A Rs 2,000 crore package
- Kerala train derail: Services resume in Ernakulam-Thrissur route
- Meet Lachlan Smart – The Aussie teen who becomes youngest pilot to fly solo around the world!
- Suicide bombing kills 11 at Yemen army camp: Officials