Bangladesh PM asks Zia to sue US daily for `forgery`
Dhaka: Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has asked Khaleda Zia to sue a US daily after the main opposition leader disowned an article published in her name in the paper seeking sanctions against Dhaka to save democracy.
The controversial article, published in The Washington Times, which sought US sanctions against Bangladesh, sparked a political row in the country.
"Why don`t you (Zia) sue The Washington Times if the signature is really fake?" the private UNB news agency quoted Prime Minister Hasina as telling a rally.
Hasina also questioned how the US newspaper could show "such an audacity by publishing the article in the name of Khaleda Zia if she did not write it at all".
Zia disowned the write up while the newspaper insisted it was authored by her only.
The article was published on January 30 under a title `ZIA: The thankless role in saving democracy in Bangladesh` but the controversy over the write-up began last week when the United States scrapped Bangladesh`s preferential trading status over workers rights and safety issues.
Hasina alleged Zia and her party now disowned the article to "escape blames" for the US suspension of Generalised System of Preferences (GSP) for Bangladeshi products while senior BNP leaders earlier appreciated and justified the write up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA