Bangladesh PM vows to ensure trial of all major killings
Dhaka: Bangladesh Premier Sheikh Hasina has pledged to ensure trial of all major killings in the country, including the carnage at the paramilitary forces` base and that of 1971 war criminals, days after the Supreme Court upheld death sentence to Sheikh Mujibur Rahman`s killers.
"If we do not hold trial of these killing, the bloodbath in this land will continue," the Prime Minister said at the armed forces day reception last evening at Dhaka Cantonment.
She referred particularly to the February carnage at the Bangladesh Rifles (BDR) headquarters where 57 army officers were killed by mutineer soldiers.
"If I am alive, trail of the BDR mutiny will certainly be held" in fast track special courts, she said.
Hasina said the process was also underway to bring to justice the culprits of the assassination of four independence leaders and Bangabandhu`s close associates in jail.
In her first public comments after the Supreme Court`s appellate division verdict in Mujib`s murder trial, she said: "It has been proved through the judgement that any one committing crimes will get punished... It is a triumph of truth and justice".
Hasina said the country had seen a misleading campaign to glorify the August 15, 1975 killing of Mujib.
She said the subsequent governments rewarded the killers, who used to say, "I killed Sheikh Mujib, dare you try me".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Michael Sheen to make directorial debut in killer movie
- Irish fans eye revenge against France; Germany take on Slovakia; Hungary face Belgium
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?
- Lachipora encounter: Security forces shot dead 2 militants; gunbattle underway