Bangladesh PM vows to ensure trial of all major killings
Dhaka: Bangladesh Premier Sheikh Hasina has pledged to ensure trial of all major killings in the country, including the carnage at the paramilitary forces` base and that of 1971 war criminals, days after the Supreme Court upheld death sentence to Sheikh Mujibur Rahman`s killers.
"If we do not hold trial of these killing, the bloodbath in this land will continue," the Prime Minister said at the armed forces day reception last evening at Dhaka Cantonment.
She referred particularly to the February carnage at the Bangladesh Rifles (BDR) headquarters where 57 army officers were killed by mutineer soldiers.
"If I am alive, trail of the BDR mutiny will certainly be held" in fast track special courts, she said.
Hasina said the process was also underway to bring to justice the culprits of the assassination of four independence leaders and Bangabandhu`s close associates in jail.
In her first public comments after the Supreme Court`s appellate division verdict in Mujib`s murder trial, she said: "It has been proved through the judgement that any one committing crimes will get punished... It is a triumph of truth and justice".
Hasina said the country had seen a misleading campaign to glorify the August 15, 1975 killing of Mujib.
She said the subsequent governments rewarded the killers, who used to say, "I killed Sheikh Mujib, dare you try me".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India