Bangladesh Prez, PM pay rich tributes to Sunil Gangopadhyay
Dhaka: Reflecting late author Sunil Gangopadhyay`s immense popularity in Bangladesh, President Zillur Rahman and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Tuesday paid rich tributes to him and remembered his writings which inspired the independence of this country in 1971.
In separate condolence messages, Rahman and Hasina described Gangopadhyay`s death "as an irreparable loss" to Bangla literature.
"He?ll always be remembered by the readers through his innumerable stories, poems, plays and novels including ?Sei Somoy?, ?Purbo-Paschim?, ?Prothom Alo?, ?Nikhilesh? and ?Neera? poetry series", Hasina said.
"Gangopadhyay initiated a new trend in Bangla literature. At the death of this prolific litterateur, an era of contemporary Bangla literature has come to an end. He contributed greatly towards creating Bangla poets with his `Krittibas?, a magazine for poems", she added.
Recalling Gangopadhyay`s "great contributions" to the Liberation War of Bangladesh, Hasina said his poems and articles inspired the freedom fighters tremendously at that time and gave the refugees courage to endure the sufferings.
Gangopadhyay`s books are a craze among readers cutting across age groups in Bangladesh and his popularity in the country has never declined over the passage of time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened