Bangladesh probing background of NY terror suspect
Dhaka: Police in Bangladesh on Saturday interviewed former teachers and classmates of a Bangladeshi man charged with trying to blow up the Federal Reserve building in New York, investigating whether he had connections with radical groups at home.
Dhaka Metropolitan Police official Monirul Islam said detectives today will visit North South University in Dhaka where Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis studied before going to the United States. They were to interview teachers, classmates and school officials.
Bangladeshi detectives have already visited Nafis` village, where they found no evidence of ties with radical groups.
Nafis, 21, was arrested in New York on Wednesday in an FBI sting operation. A criminal complaint says he made several attempts to blow up a fake 454-kilogramme car bomb near the Federal Reserve.
Home Minister Mohiuddin Khan Alamgir has pledged that Bangladesh will assist the United States in investigating Nafis.
Nafis` family in the Bangladeshi capital of Dhaka denied he could have been involved in the plot and said he went to America only to study.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3