Bangladesh protest against Hasina’s women’s policy
Dhaka: A student was killed and several
others injured in Bangladesh today when police fired on
hundreds of madrassa students protesting against a recently
adopted women`s policy, which right wing groups have termed
Police fired gunshots after several hundred protesters
came out of a madrassa in western Jassore with bamboo sticks
and stones and clashed with police, witnesses said.
The protesters marched through the city chanting
slogans against the government`s move to ensure equal property
rights for women in the Muslim majority country.
They wanted to drum up support for a nationwide strike
tomorrow, demanding that the policy should be scrapped.
A local journalist said that one student, who was
identified as Hossain Ahmed, died instantly when a bullet
pierced through his back.
But, police said the student was killed accidentally by
the protesters as they were using firearms against the law
A faction if Islami Oikya Jote (OIJ), an ally of main
opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party of Khaleda Zia, has
called a nationwide general strike tomorrow against the policy
announced last month, terming it anti-Islamic.
However, the government says the policy did not
contradict Islam in any way. It blamed the group for
misleading people by misinterpreting the policy.
BNP had initially declined to extend its support for
the strike, but in a statement overnight the party said it was
always supportive to any campaign to protest Islam and
religious sentiments of the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi