Bangladesh puts major airports on high alert
Dhaka: Bangladesh put all its major airports on high alert and beefed up security around all vital installations following a tip off from a western country`s embassy of a possible terror strike.
As the warning from the embassy came in, authorities deployed the elite Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) to man security at Dhaka and Chittagong international airports.
"We have deployed our troops and intensified intelligence vigil at all major airports since Thursday evening on a request by the civil aviation authority," RAB spokesperson Major Iftekhar Ahmed said.
"Orders were also issued to beef up security at all major installations," he said.
His comments came as the `Daily Star` newspaper today carried a report quoting Civil Aviation Minister Golam Qader that a western country`s embassy in Dhaka had informed the government about a possible terror attack or plane hijacking at the capital`s Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport on Thursday.
"We had remained alert so that none can carry any arms and ammunition in the airport," he said.
Witnesses and airport officials said the security agencies have enforced a strict vigil in and around the airports.
"The entry of the visitors at the airport has also been strictly regulated," a airport official said. The report also said a number of ministers, including Law Minister Shafique Ahmed, were advised to move with caution till the end of April.
Meanwhile, the state-run BSS news agency reported that the authorities in southeastern Chittagong have beefed up security at the Shah Amanat International Airport at the port city alongside the key point installations including the three main oil depots to check possible acts of sabotage.
Though officials did not specify which terrorist group was planning to strike, private UNB news agency has quoted intelligence sources saying that an attack could be staged on or before "Pahela Baishakh", the first day of the Bengali New year on April 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'