Bangladesh recalls Army officers sacked by BNP: Report
Dhaka: The Awami League government led by Sheikh Hasina has started recalling armed forces officers who were sacked by the previous government on "political considerations", a report has said.
The private Bdnews24 news agency quoting parliamentary standing committee member on defence ministry, Idris Ali MP said a list of "victimised" officers was sent to Prime
Minister Sheikh Hasina last month as she ordered their reinstatement "after thorough investigation".
"The ministry officials have informed us that the government has already started reinstating the officials sacked by the previous Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) government for political reasons," Ali said.
However, he did not mention how many officials of the armed forces were sacked for "political reasons" or the number to be recalled.
But he said the government would also promote the officials who were deprived of advancement by the BNP government that was in power from 2001-06.
Monzur Quader Quraishi, another member of the committee said, "The BNP-led four party alliance government had dismissed army officers whose relatives were involved in opposition politics."
The Defence Ministry officials were not available immediately for comments, but unofficial sources said over a dozen officers equivalent to the rank of major general were sacked between October 2001, when BNP government took office, up to 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says