Bangladesh: Road accident kills 42 school children
Dhaka: In a tragic accident, at least 42
school children were killed and over 30 others missing after a
truck carrying them plunged into a canal near Bangladesh`s
southeastern port city of Chittagong today, police said.
The truck carrying an estimated 60 primary school
children, aged between nine to 14, was returning home after a
football match at a local stadium when it skidded off the road
and landed into the canal at Mirresarai area, 240 kilometres
southeast of the capital.
The accident apparently occurred as the driver lost
control of the vehicle.
"Police has confirmed that 27 bodies were in their
custody or in hospital morgue while local residents said
others were brought home by relatives," a local journalist
The administrative chief of Maresrsarai sub-district
said army troops and navy divers were called in to join
rescuers as several more bodies were feared to be trapped
inside the sunken vehicle.
Frequent road accidents have tarnished the image of
Bangladesh in terms of road safety with a recent study by the
Dhaka-based Accident Research Center saying that more than
12,000 people die in road accidents in the country every year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter