Bangladesh: Road accident kills 42 school children
Dhaka: In a tragic accident, at least 42
school children were killed and over 30 others missing after a
truck carrying them plunged into a canal near Bangladesh`s
southeastern port city of Chittagong today, police said.
The truck carrying an estimated 60 primary school
children, aged between nine to 14, was returning home after a
football match at a local stadium when it skidded off the road
and landed into the canal at Mirresarai area, 240 kilometres
southeast of the capital.
The accident apparently occurred as the driver lost
control of the vehicle.
"Police has confirmed that 27 bodies were in their
custody or in hospital morgue while local residents said
others were brought home by relatives," a local journalist
The administrative chief of Maresrsarai sub-district
said army troops and navy divers were called in to join
rescuers as several more bodies were feared to be trapped
inside the sunken vehicle.
Frequent road accidents have tarnished the image of
Bangladesh in terms of road safety with a recent study by the
Dhaka-based Accident Research Center saying that more than
12,000 people die in road accidents in the country every year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL