Bangladesh teachers arrested over `blasphemous` drama
Dhaka: Police in Bangladesh said on Saturday they
had arrested two school teachers on suspicion of staging a
drama containing blasphemous remarks about Islam.
The school`s Muslim headmaster and a female Hindu teacher
were detained yesterday as thousands protested the play
following weekly prayers at Kaliganj, 250 kilometres southwest
of the capital Dhaka, police chief Farid Uddin said.
"The drama contained blasphemous remarks...which angered
Muslim villagers," the local police official said,
He said the teachers had been accused of "hurting
religious sentiment" for helping organise the drama at their
At least 3,000 demonstrators barricaded a key road and
held noisy protests in front of the school and in other towns
in the district yesterday.
Violence also erupted on today as large number of Muslims
shouted slogans and set ablaze the house of the drama`s
director, who has fled the remote area, another senior police
official Zaiadul Haq said.
"The situation is still volatile," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa