Bangladesh tightens security for New Year`s eve
Dhaka: Authorities in Bangladesh have tightened security in capital Dhaka for New Year`s eve in the wake of the volatile political situation in the country, an official said on Tuesday.
The Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) official told Xinhua that surveillance cameras have been installed in major squares and main streets to thwart any untoward incident.
He said thousands of law enforcers would be positioned outside key state institutions. Checkpoints manned by explosives experts have been set up on many streets, said the official.
The DMP has already banned any kind of gathering of four or more people on the city streets, parks and squares from 8 pm on Tuesday as part of security measures for the capital for New Year`s eve.
DMP Commissioner Benazir Ahmed said police would also limit motorised vehicles in the city on Tuesday night.
Sources said the stringent measures come amid an increase in political violence in the country centring around the main opposition party`s anti-government movement, demanding general elections under a non-party caretaker government.
Bangladesh`s main opposition called for an indefinite blockade from Wednesday morning to put more pressure on Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina`s government to scrap the polls slated for January 05.
The announcement came hours after the end of the opposition`s two-day March for Democracy amid stray incidents of violence in Dhaka and elsewhere in the country.
Former prime minister Khaleda Zia`s Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) and its 17 allies are boycotting the elections.
Khaleda Zia has asked Hasina to bring back a non-party caretaker system or else the opposition would not participate in the elections.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!