Bangladesh to firm up money laundering laws
Dhaka: Bangladesh will enact two legislations to firm up its laws against money laundering to fight the flow of funds used for terrorism, Finance Minister AMA Muhith has said.
Muhith said that amendments to the existing laws were imperative to let the global organisations know that Dhaka was right on track to prevent money laundering and terror financing.
Two bills would be placed in the next session of parliament seeking amendments to the laws, New Age quoted him as saying on Wednesday.
The minister said that money laundering had become an international political issue as the smuggled money was used in terror financing.
Muhith on Wednesday chaired a meeting of the national coordination council to review the overall progress in drafting the amendments.
His assurance follows warnings from international agencies fighting money laundering, which say Bangladesh`s laws to combat the growing money laundering and terror financing are "unsatisfactory", the newspaper said.
Bangladesh is trailing where India and Pakistan have enacted the necessary laws, the paper said quoting Bangladesh finance ministry officials.
If Dhaka does not firm up the relevant laws and their enforcement, it could be included in the group of "ill-prepared countries", the officials said.
The Asia Pacific Group (APG) which works for prevention of money laundering conveyed the message when a delegation of the group visited Dhaka last month.
The Financial Action Task Force, an inter-governmental group formed in 1990s, has also found that Bangladesh was still non-compliant with international standards in several areas related to money laundering.
These organisations have been expressing such concern for over last one year, the officials said.
The Bangkok-based APG in its annual report released last year stated that Bangladesh`s preparations for combating money laundering were "unsatisfactory".
The group is scheduled to review Bangladesh`s progress in this regard in October. It is very crucial. Dhaka should not miss the chance to improve its position by amending the anti-money laundering act 2009 and anti-terrorism act 2009, the APG team told officials here.
Along with Bangladesh, preparations of Thailand, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Indonesia, the Philippines and Vietnam would be reviewed by the APG. India, Pakistan and Austria have already come out of the review by fulfilling the criteria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22