Bangladesh to hand over ULFA leader to India
Dhaka: Bangladesh is in the process of handing over detained United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) leader Anup Chetia to India, a minister said here Wednesday.
"We have already initiated the legal process to hand him over to India," the Daily Star quoted Home Minister Sahara Khatun as saying here.
ULFA general secretary Anup Chetia was arrested in Bangladesh in 1997 and is under detention on completion of his jail term.
ULFA is a rebel group fighting for an independent homeland in India`s Assam state since 1979. The insurgency claimed some 10,000 lives in the past two decades.
Bangladesh`s move to hand over Chetia to India comes following the visit to Dhaka by Indian Home Minister P. Chidambaram, during which the Indian authorities gave a list of 50 Indians who are now allegedly hiding or are under detention in Bangladesh. India asked that they be handed over to it.
Home Secretary Abdus Sobhan Sikder said that Anup Chetia was on the top of the Indian list.
On its part, Bangladesh has given to India a list of 100 people whom it wants back.
"We do not have any extradition treaty with India. We are now working on finding ways to send them back under other ways since we are members of the same inter-governmental organisation - the Commonwealth," said the home secretary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow