Bangladesh to increase trade with northeast India
Akhaurah: Bangladesh has said it will increase trade and economic activities with India`s northeast region and develop infrastructure at the border.
Bangladesh Commerce Minister Colonel (retired) Faruk Khan said, "We have decided to increase trade and business with the northeastern region to reduce Bangladesh`s trade gap with India.”
"I will ask Bangladesh planning commission to approve the Taka 116 crore (USD 16.8 million) project within a day or two to develop the road and other border infrastructure along Akhaurah land port with India`s Tripura state," Khan told newspersons on Thursday after flagging off the first consignment of bricks from Bangladesh to northeastern India.
Bangladesh roads and highway department had submitted the proposal to the planning commission a few months back.
The Akhaurah land port, 150 km east of Dhaka and just 5 km west of Tripura capital Agartala, is one of Bangladesh`s biggest trading routes with northeast India.
Khan said the Bangladesh government would take urgent steps to develop the other land ports with northeast India within six months.
Four northeastern states -- Assam, Tripura, Meghalaya and Mizoram -- share a 1,879 km border with Bangladesh.
"To increase the trade and business between Bangladesh and northeast India, my government sincerely wants rail, road, waterways and telecommunication links between the two sides," said the minister.
Bangladesh`s Export Promotion Bureau (EPB) vice-chairman Mohammad Shahab Ullah said, "Bangladesh`s trade gap with India has increased to USD 2,566.42 million in 2008-09."
India has been issuing a large number of visas to Bangladeshi businessmen.
"India issues half-a-million visas annually to Bangladeshis and this is the highest number of visas given to Bangladeshis by any country and we are also issuing multiple visas to traders and businessmen of that country," said Indian High Commissioner in Bangladesh Pinak Ranjan Chakravarty, who was also present at the function.
In 2006, 2007 and 2008, the total number of visas issued by India to Bangladeshis was respectively 472,644, 481,064 and 523,322.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!