Bangladesh to increase trade with northeast India
Akhaurah: Bangladesh has said it will increase trade and economic activities with India`s northeast region and develop infrastructure at the border.
Bangladesh Commerce Minister Colonel (retired) Faruk Khan said, "We have decided to increase trade and business with the northeastern region to reduce Bangladesh`s trade gap with India.”
"I will ask Bangladesh planning commission to approve the Taka 116 crore (USD 16.8 million) project within a day or two to develop the road and other border infrastructure along Akhaurah land port with India`s Tripura state," Khan told newspersons on Thursday after flagging off the first consignment of bricks from Bangladesh to northeastern India.
Bangladesh roads and highway department had submitted the proposal to the planning commission a few months back.
The Akhaurah land port, 150 km east of Dhaka and just 5 km west of Tripura capital Agartala, is one of Bangladesh`s biggest trading routes with northeast India.
Khan said the Bangladesh government would take urgent steps to develop the other land ports with northeast India within six months.
Four northeastern states -- Assam, Tripura, Meghalaya and Mizoram -- share a 1,879 km border with Bangladesh.
"To increase the trade and business between Bangladesh and northeast India, my government sincerely wants rail, road, waterways and telecommunication links between the two sides," said the minister.
Bangladesh`s Export Promotion Bureau (EPB) vice-chairman Mohammad Shahab Ullah said, "Bangladesh`s trade gap with India has increased to USD 2,566.42 million in 2008-09."
India has been issuing a large number of visas to Bangladeshi businessmen.
"India issues half-a-million visas annually to Bangladeshis and this is the highest number of visas given to Bangladeshis by any country and we are also issuing multiple visas to traders and businessmen of that country," said Indian High Commissioner in Bangladesh Pinak Ranjan Chakravarty, who was also present at the function.
In 2006, 2007 and 2008, the total number of visas issued by India to Bangladeshis was respectively 472,644, 481,064 and 523,322.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!