Bangladesh to integrate madrassas into mainstream
Dhaka: Bangladesh is planning to integrate
hundreds of Islamic religious schools into the mainstream
secular education system in a revamp costing USD 70 million,
an official said on Monday.
Up to five million children, out of a total of 32 million
pupils, study at madrassas, but a 2010 government study found
that they score significantly lower in subjects like English
and maths than youngsters at mainstream schools.
The overhaul seeks to improve the quality of education
offered at madrassas by training Islamic teachers and bringing
facilities up to national standards, education ministry
spokesman Subdoh Chandra Dhali said.
"Madrassas will be able to train their teachers in
subjects such as English, science, information technology and
mathematics," he said.
The project, which is being bankrolled by the Asian
Development Bank, aims to bring madrassas -- considered by
critics to encourage hardline Islam -- more closely into the
mainstream school system, he said.
"The aim is to gradually reform and modernise this
age-old education system," he added.
The project is a continuation of a programme launched
last year by Bangladesh`s secular government to reform
madrassas, including the introduction of compulsory lessons in
science, English and information technology.
The government now funds some madrassas in exchange for
control over the curriculum and greater flexibility over
admittance -- including allowing girls to study at the
traditionally all-male seminaries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof