Bangladesh to name major road after Indira Gandhi
Dhaka: Bangladesh will name a major road
of its capital Dhaka after former Indian Prime Minister Indira
Gandhi as part of a government initiative to honour the
country`s foreign friends, who contributed to its 1971
emergence as an independent nation.
"We have proposed the naming of several roads after
our 1971 foreign friends with former Indian Premier Mrs Indira
Gandhi being one of them," Foreign Minister Dipu Moni told a
news briefing emerging from a high-profile national committee
meeting comprising distinguished citizens and officials.
Moni, who heads the committee, said they so far listed
500 foreign friends who would be conferred with a special
honour at a ceremony in Dhaka on a convenient date ahead of
the 41st Victory Day on December 16 this year.
She said more names would be included gradually in the
list and among the recipients who would not be able to join
the ceremony would be conferred with the honour by herself or
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina later at their own country.
Moni`s comments came as officials earlier said Gandhi
would be conferred with a special honour for her "immense"
support for Bangladesh`s 1971 Independence.
Former US Senator Ted Kennedy and French author and
politician Andre Malraux were the two other prominent figures
in the list suggested for the special acknowledgement.
Officials familiar with the process said the committee
was currently busy with preparing citations for individual
foreign friends to be read out during the ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Earth's ancient magnetic field had more than two poles!
- VIDEOS: MS Dhoni's wife Sakshi shares her adorable moments with daughter Ziva
- 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed announces 'jihad to free Pakistani rivers from India'
- Chinese ship inaugurates expanded Panama Canal
- Euro 2016: Germany cruise into last eight with 3-0 Slovakia win