Bangladesh to offer VIP status to 1971 war veterans
Dhaka: In a gesture to recognise their contribution to the 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has said that the government has initiated a process to offer `Very Important Person` (VIP) status to the decorated and wounded war veterans.
"A process is underway to declare all the national award-winning and war-wounded freedom fighters as the VIPs," she told a reception of the 1971 veterans at the Dhaka Cantonment late yesterday as part of the Armed Forces Day celebrations.
The freedom fighters can also avail free journey in buses, trains and ferries as part of the immediate steps by the government to enhance their facilities.
Thirty five decorated ex-service men and 11 civilian gallantry award-wining war veterans and their successors joined the reception where Hasina promised her government will continue efforts to uphold the spirit of the Liberation War.
According to a decision taken during Hasina’s previous tenure from 1996 to 2001, the deceased freedom fighters are buried with state honour with a police contingent offering honour guards and gun salutes as bugles play the last post.
The freedom fighters and their children are also entitled to quotas in government jobs and state-run universities.
Bangladesh won the independence after a nine-month long bloody war against Pakistani forces with crucial Indian support in 1971.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed