Bangladesh to start trial of war criminals soon
Dhaka: Bangladesh would start the
much-awaited trial of `war criminals` of the 1971 liberation
movement by early next year, a top government official has
"I can tell you that the process of the trial of the
war criminals would start either in the end of January or in
the beginning of February," Bangladesh Law Minister Shafique
Those who killed millions and eliminated the best
Bangali brains at the behest of the then East Pakistan
authorities during the 1971 Liberation War are called `war
criminals` in Bangladesh.
"The first step to start the trial process would be
formation of an investigation agency. It will be announced by
the end of January or beginning of February and then a
prosecution team and a three-member tribunal would be formed
and announced immediately," The Daily Star has quoted Ahmed as
His comments in this regard came on the eve of the
country`s `38th Martyred Intellectuals Day` yesterday and
against the backdrop of criticism for dillydallying policy to
begin the trial.
Meanwhile, the newspaper quoting a highly placed
source in the government said the trial process would start
after execution of the convicted killers of Bangabandhu Sheikh
Home Secretary Abdus Sobhan Sikder, in the meantime,
told the newspaper that "the trial process would start soon"
without giving any possible timeframe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Meet our highly trained surgical strike specialist 'Para Special Forces'
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read