Bangladesh war crime court indicts leaders of al-Badr militia
Dhaka: A Bangladeshi war crimes tribunal on Thursday ordered the arrest of two fugitive collaborators of Pakistani army during the country`s 1971 liberation war for their alleged role in the murder of 18 leading intellectuals.
Justice Obaidul Hassan-led International Crimes Tribunal issued the warrants of arrest after considering the charges levelled against former al-Badr leaders Ashrafuzzaman Khan and Chowdhury Mueen-Uddin by the prosecution.
The tribunal has sought a report from authorities by May 12 as to whether the two have been arrested or not, Bdnews24 reported.
Prosecutor Mokhlesur Rahman Badal brought the charges on April 28 after Tribunal prosecutor Saidur Rahman filed his probe report on April 25.
The two have been charged with murdering 18 intellectuals’ nine Dhaka University teachers, six journalists and three doctors between December 10-14, 1971. A total of 16 charges of crimes against humanity have been brought against them under five categories.
The charges said that the al Badr was "put in charge" to kill the intellectuals by the Pakistan military, that Khan was the `chief executor` with Chowdhury `operation in-charge`.
Both were said to be active member of Islami Chhatra Sangha the student wing of fundamentalist Jamaat-e-Islami in 1971. The Jamaat opposed Bangladesh`s independence and sided with the Pakistani war effort in 1971.
In March 2010, Bangladesh government set up the tribunal to try the collaborators. Up to three million people were killed during the liberation war.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced