Bangladeshi arrested over threat to Egyptian embassy
Dhaka: An activist of the student wing of Bangladesh`s largest Islamist party was arrested on Wednesday on charge of threatening to blow up the Egyptian embassy here.
Acting on a tip, the detective branch of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) arrested Shawkat Ali in central Dhaka, Xinhua reported.
Deputy Commissioner of DMP Masudur Rahman said: "The youth has (said) he is involved in the politics of Islami Chhatra Shibir, the student wing of Jamaat-e-Islami."
According to police, the Egyptian embassy in Dhaka Tuesday received an SMS that demanded an end to "crackdown on the members of Muslim Brotherhood Movement in Egypt". It threatened to blow up the embassy.
Citing security concerns, the authorities decided to shut the consular section of the Egyptian embassy for 11 days from Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray