Bangladeshi arrested over threat to Egyptian embassy
Dhaka: An activist of the student wing of Bangladesh`s largest Islamist party was arrested on Wednesday on charge of threatening to blow up the Egyptian embassy here.
Acting on a tip, the detective branch of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) arrested Shawkat Ali in central Dhaka, Xinhua reported.
Deputy Commissioner of DMP Masudur Rahman said: "The youth has (said) he is involved in the politics of Islami Chhatra Shibir, the student wing of Jamaat-e-Islami."
According to police, the Egyptian embassy in Dhaka Tuesday received an SMS that demanded an end to "crackdown on the members of Muslim Brotherhood Movement in Egypt". It threatened to blow up the embassy.
Citing security concerns, the authorities decided to shut the consular section of the Egyptian embassy for 11 days from Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!