Bangladeshi arrested over threat to Egyptian embassy
Dhaka: An activist of the student wing of Bangladesh`s largest Islamist party was arrested on Wednesday on charge of threatening to blow up the Egyptian embassy here.
Acting on a tip, the detective branch of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) arrested Shawkat Ali in central Dhaka, Xinhua reported.
Deputy Commissioner of DMP Masudur Rahman said: "The youth has (said) he is involved in the politics of Islami Chhatra Shibir, the student wing of Jamaat-e-Islami."
According to police, the Egyptian embassy in Dhaka Tuesday received an SMS that demanded an end to "crackdown on the members of Muslim Brotherhood Movement in Egypt". It threatened to blow up the embassy.
Citing security concerns, the authorities decided to shut the consular section of the Egyptian embassy for 11 days from Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach