Bangladeshi has brick tied to genitals as punishme
Dhaka: Bangladeshi police on Thursday said they
were investigating the case of a man forced to parade naked
through his village with a brick tied to his genitals as
punishment for kidnapping and marrying a minor.
The punishment was meted out Saturday to the
30-year-old man by the local council in a village 30
kilometres south of Dhaka.
Police said he had kidnapped and then forcibly married
a 12-year-old girl, who later managed to escape.
"The council chief and some village elders beat him
and made him parade with a brick tied to his genitals at a
river ghat (steps) under the full gaze of at least 200
people," police sub-inspector Binoy Krishna Kary said.
Village courts are legal in Bangladesh but only
empowered to settle disputes related to land ownership,
inheritance and other minor issues. They are proscribed from
handing down physical punishment.
The latest incident came a week after the global
rights monitor Human Rights Watch released a statement
highlighting abuses committed by local councils which are
often the result of religious edicts or fatwas.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- US President Barack Obama hosts jazz concert at `Blues House`
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm