Bangladeshi ministers escape bomb attacks
Dhaka: A Bangladeshi minister had a narrow escape when assailants hurled crude bombs at his vehicle on Monday while another`s house was attacked amid widespread political violence ahead of next month`s general elections.
Unidentified persons lobbed three bombs at the vehicle of Local Government Minister Syed Ashraful Islam in Tongi, on the outskirts of Dhaka, while four petrol bombs exploded at the residence of Commerce Minister G M Quader.
Islam`s car was attacked around 8:30 am when he was going to visit his constituency in Kishoreganj to submit his nomination papers.
He escaped unhurt as the bombs missed the target, the Daily Star reported quoting witnesses.
Quader was not at home when the petrol bombs exploded at his residence, the report said. Two unexploded bombs were also found, police said.
The main opposition BNP and its rightwing allies have extended by two days a 72-hour nationwide strike demanding the postponement of the polls.
The campaign, scheduled to end tomorrow, virtually paralysed the country for the second straight week, even as the death toll in two weeks of political violence rose to 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!