Bangladeshi mom, daughter to stay in US for now
New York: A university student and her mother will remain in New York for now as they fight deportation to their native Bangladesh.
Attorney Agyul Charles says an immigration judge in New York City decided on Thursday to review the case of Nadia Habib and her mother.
No timetable was given.
Habib says she`s nervous while awaiting the final decision. But she`ll head back on Monday to Stony Brook University, where she is studying.
Supporters who feared the pair would be immediately deported cheered outside the federal building in Manhattan where the hearing was held.
Habib was a toddler when she came to the US in 1993.
Her father, who has a green card, previously said bad immigration lawyers failed to get proper documentation for his wife and daughter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you