Bangladeshi mom, daughter to stay in US for now
New York: A university student and her mother will remain in New York for now as they fight deportation to their native Bangladesh.
Attorney Agyul Charles says an immigration judge in New York City decided on Thursday to review the case of Nadia Habib and her mother.
No timetable was given.
Habib says she`s nervous while awaiting the final decision. But she`ll head back on Monday to Stony Brook University, where she is studying.
Supporters who feared the pair would be immediately deported cheered outside the federal building in Manhattan where the hearing was held.
Habib was a toddler when she came to the US in 1993.
Her father, who has a green card, previously said bad immigration lawyers failed to get proper documentation for his wife and daughter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested