Bangladesh`s five opposition leaders jailed over violence
Dhaka: Bangladesh opposition`s five top leaders, who were detained late Friday night and early Saturday, have been sent to jail in connection with two cases slapped on them for attempting to kill policemen and creating violence in the capital city, Xinhua reported.
The Chief Metropolitan Magistrate`s Court in Dhaka passed the order Saturday evening to send the leaders to jail.
Police placed before the court a 20-day remand plea for the leaders. The court fixed Nov 14 for hearing the remand plea. Earlier in the day, the Bangladesh`s main opposition party leaders were shown arrested in two cases filed Sep 24 and Nov 6.
The defendants included Moudud Ahmed, MK Anwar and Rafiqul Islam, who are members of standing committee, the highest policy- making body of the former prime minister Khaleda Zia`s Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP).
The defendants also included BNP chairperson Khaleda`s advisor Abdul Awal Mintoo and her Special Assistant Shamsur Rahman Shimul Biswas who were arrested during a surprise crackdown on opposition.
In protest against the detentions, lawyers of the BNP and its key ally Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami party staged demonstrations on the court premises Saturday.
Opposition men and police have clashed in capital city of Dhaka and elsewhere in the country after the senior opposition figures were arrested.
Police arrested the BNP leaders hours after Khaleda`s opposition alliance announced 72-hour nationwide strike from Sunday morning, demanding national polls slated for early 2014 under a non-party caretaker government.
Protesting the arrest of top leaders, the opposition alliance, however, has extended its 72-hour shutdown, slated to begin at 6.00 a.m. (local time) Sunday, by 12 hours.
"It`s totally a false allegation that they (the arrested leaders) instigated violence," BNP spokesman Rizvi Ahmed told Xinhua.
He also claimed that the arrests were made as part of the government`s conspiracy to hold a one-party election.
Paramilitary troops were deployed in Dhaka Saturday night amid fear of a violent face-off between activists of the ruling Bangladesh Awami League party and the BNP-led 18-party opposition alliance centring the latter`s 84-hour non-stop hartal from Sunday morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow