Bashir may become Pak`s High Commissioner in India
Islamabad: Foreign Secretary Salman Bashir is
set to become Pakistan`s High Commissioner in India as part of
the biggest reshuffle of envoys approved by Prime Minister
Yousuf Raza Gilani, according to a media report on Tuesday.
Bashir, 59, who is due to retire next year, will replace
High Commissioner Shahid Malik, whose current contract is
valid till the second quarter of next year.
Malik retired some time ago and his contract has been
periodically renewed for six months at a stretch.
Malik could be replaced by Bashir before the expiry of
the contractual period of the High Commissioner, The News
daily quoted its sources as saying.
Gilani had decided that no envoy who is currently on a
contract would be given further extensions.
Gilani has approved the appointment of new envoys in 14
Three more ambassadors have been asked to return to
Islamabad after relinquishing their assignment so that they
can be replaced with new envoys, the report said.
The daily described it as the biggest shuffle of envoys
in the recent history of the Foreign Office. A formal
announcement regarding the new postings and appointments is
expected to be made towards the end of the week.
As part of the reshuffle, Pakistan will have new envoys
in Russia, the Netherlands, Brazil, Germany, Egypt, Algeria,
Cuba, Nepal, Kenya, Yemen, Tunisia, Chile and Serbia.
Additional Foreign Secretary Abdul Basit, who is also the
spokesman for the Foreign Office, has been appointed
ambassador to Germany to replace Shahid Kamal, who is retiring
Manzoor-ul-Haq, Director General of the Middle East desk
in the Foreign Office, has been named as the new Ambassador to
Egypt while Nasarullah Khan, Director General of the Europe
desk, has been appointed the envoy to Nepal, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA