Bashir may become Pak`s High Commissioner in India
Islamabad: Foreign Secretary Salman Bashir is
set to become Pakistan`s High Commissioner in India as part of
the biggest reshuffle of envoys approved by Prime Minister
Yousuf Raza Gilani, according to a media report on Tuesday.
Bashir, 59, who is due to retire next year, will replace
High Commissioner Shahid Malik, whose current contract is
valid till the second quarter of next year.
Malik retired some time ago and his contract has been
periodically renewed for six months at a stretch.
Malik could be replaced by Bashir before the expiry of
the contractual period of the High Commissioner, The News
daily quoted its sources as saying.
Gilani had decided that no envoy who is currently on a
contract would be given further extensions.
Gilani has approved the appointment of new envoys in 14
Three more ambassadors have been asked to return to
Islamabad after relinquishing their assignment so that they
can be replaced with new envoys, the report said.
The daily described it as the biggest shuffle of envoys
in the recent history of the Foreign Office. A formal
announcement regarding the new postings and appointments is
expected to be made towards the end of the week.
As part of the reshuffle, Pakistan will have new envoys
in Russia, the Netherlands, Brazil, Germany, Egypt, Algeria,
Cuba, Nepal, Kenya, Yemen, Tunisia, Chile and Serbia.
Additional Foreign Secretary Abdul Basit, who is also the
spokesman for the Foreign Office, has been appointed
ambassador to Germany to replace Shahid Kamal, who is retiring
Manzoor-ul-Haq, Director General of the Middle East desk
in the Foreign Office, has been named as the new Ambassador to
Egypt while Nasarullah Khan, Director General of the Europe
desk, has been appointed the envoy to Nepal, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened