B`desh approaches UN over marine border dispute with India
Dhaka: Bangladesh has approached the UN
over its maritime border dispute with India, amid claims by Dhaka on certain areas in the Bay of Bengal as within its territorial waters, a news report said on Tuesday.
Earlier both India and Myanmar were involved in a
diplomatic row with Bangladesh over territorial waters claim.
Bangladesh has problems with India and Myanmar on the issue of "starting point" on how to mark the coastlines from the exclusive economic zone that has apparently overlapped claims of the three neighbouring countries due to the funnel-like shape of the Bay of Bengal.
Bangladesh registered its objection with the UN to
India’s claim over certain areas in the Bay of Bengal, three months after a similar missive was filed against Myanmar’s claim, the New Age newspaper reported.
"We have submitted our objection to the maritime
commission of the UN on October 29," MA Momen, Bangladesh’s Permanent Representative at the UN, was quoted as saying by the Bangladeshi daily.
The three neighbours are yet to clearly demarcate
their maritime boundaries and are moving the Commission on the Limits of the Continental Shelf (CLCS), a UN body to deal with the law of the seas.
India submitted its claim on maritime boundary to the CLCS in May 2009, one month ahead of its deadline amid dispute with Dhaka over the ownership for the hydrocarbons in the Bay
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez