B`desh approaches UN over marine border dispute with India
Dhaka: Bangladesh has approached the UN
over its maritime border dispute with India, amid claims by Dhaka on certain areas in the Bay of Bengal as within its territorial waters, a news report said on Tuesday.
Earlier both India and Myanmar were involved in a
diplomatic row with Bangladesh over territorial waters claim.
Bangladesh has problems with India and Myanmar on the issue of "starting point" on how to mark the coastlines from the exclusive economic zone that has apparently overlapped claims of the three neighbouring countries due to the funnel-like shape of the Bay of Bengal.
Bangladesh registered its objection with the UN to
India’s claim over certain areas in the Bay of Bengal, three months after a similar missive was filed against Myanmar’s claim, the New Age newspaper reported.
"We have submitted our objection to the maritime
commission of the UN on October 29," MA Momen, Bangladesh’s Permanent Representative at the UN, was quoted as saying by the Bangladeshi daily.
The three neighbours are yet to clearly demarcate
their maritime boundaries and are moving the Commission on the Limits of the Continental Shelf (CLCS), a UN body to deal with the law of the seas.
India submitted its claim on maritime boundary to the CLCS in May 2009, one month ahead of its deadline amid dispute with Dhaka over the ownership for the hydrocarbons in the Bay
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack