B’desh court issues arrest warrant against JI chief
Dhaka: A Bangladeshi court today issued
an arrest warrant against fundamentalist Jamaat-e-Islami (JI)
chief Motiur Rahman Nizami and three others for disobeying its
order in a case against them for defaming Prophet Muhammad.
Metropolitan magistrate Mehdi Ahsan Talukdar issued
the warrant against the four leaders of the country`s biggest
Islamist political party as they "failed to appear" before the
court to face hearing on a charge, accusing them of hurting
the Muslim religious sentiment by defaming Prophet Muhammad,
court officials said.
"The four Jamaat (JI) leaders did not appear to face
the hearing set for today, nor they appointed any lawyer
to speak for them on the stipulated date today," a government
prosecutor told newsmen explaining reasons behind the court
He, however, added that another accused and
leader of JI`s student wing was granted bail as he appeared
before the downtown court to face the charges.
Party`s secretary general Ali Ahsan Mohammad Mojahid
is also among the accused.
Moderate Tariqat Federation, which preaches
interfaith harmony in line with ideals of Islamic Sufi saints,
in March accused JI leaders of hurting the Muslim sentiment
comparing Nizami with Prophet Mohammad, saying they were
exposed to "tortures" in an identical manner in preaching
JI, however, in a statement at that time blasted a
section of newspapers for whipping up propaganda and
conspiracy against the party distorting remarks by its
Jamaat, a crucial ally of ex-prime minister
Khaleda Zia`s Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP), is widely
criticised for actively siding with Pakistani troops
against 1971 independence during the Liberation War.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand