B`desh court wants safeguards against military rule
Dhaka: Bangladesh`s Supreme Court has denounced the declaration of martial law in the past and has sought safeguards to end "extra-constitutional adventures".
Bangladesh underwent radical political and constitutional changes during a 15-year period between August 1975 and December 1990 when martial law was promulgated and the country had a series of military-led governments.
The Appellate Division of the Supreme Court in a landmark 186 page ruling upheld a 2005 High Court verdict that had declared the fifth amendment to the Constitution illegal.
The apex court`s order was placed on the website on Wednesday, The Daily Star said on Thursday.
"We are putting on record our total disapproval of martial law and suspension of the Constitution or any part thereof in any form," said the apex court.
"The perpetrators of such illegalities should also be suitably punished and condemned so that in future no adventurist, no usurper, would dare to defy the people, their Constitution, their government, established by them with their consent," the apex court concluded.
It also said military rule was wrongly justified in the past, and it should not be justified in future on any ground.
"Let us bid farewell to all kinds of extra constitutional adventure forever," it observed.
Media reports on Thursday carried comments that Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina could face a political problem in acting against former military ruler Gen (retd) HM Ershad, whose Jatiya Party is a key member of the alliance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know