B’desh dismisses 510 trainee border guards for mutiny
Dhaka: Bangladesh Rifles has ordered
dismissal of 510 trainee border guards for their role in the
BDR mutiny last year, saying they took up firearms along with
rebellious soldiers, in an incident in which 57 Army officers
"They were proved disqualified to be soldiers of the
Bangladesh Rifles (BDR) for their role during the mutiny,"
deputy director general of the paramilitary border force
Brigadier General Obaidul Haque told.
The mutiny had broken out on February 25-26, last year
at the paramilitary force`s Pilkhana headquarters in Dhaka.
Haque said the recruits were sent back home after
detailed investigations which found that they took up weapons
along with rebellious soldiers at the Rifles Training Centre
and School near the southeastern port city of Chittagong while
57 Army officers serving the border force were killed by the
mutineers in Dhaka.
"This was the easiest way to take the action for
their role as they could not tried under the BDR Act as they
were yet to become soldiers at the time of the mutiny," he
Another BDR official said 510 soldiers were being
trained under a six-month long regular training programme and
all of them were declared disqualified under an order issued
by the director general.
The action came as trials of "ordinary mutineers",
who did not take part in offences like killings, were underway
under six special BDR courts in Dhaka and several other
frontier districts in line with the BDR Act prescribing the
highest seven yeas of imprisonment.
Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of police
meanwhile nearly finalised their investigations against the
suspected massacre culprits, who are to face trial under the
tough Speedy Trial Tribunal under the civil Penal Code
suggesting death penalties.
Under the BDR Act over 1300 soldiers so far were
faced with trial in Dhaka and different frontier districts and
more others were likely to be charged to be tried in phases.
CID officials said the prepared an initial list of
some 900 BDR soldiers out of around 2,100 detained border
guards to be charged for their alleged involvement in killings
and lootings keeping the family members of the Army officers
at their Pilkhana headquarters hostage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception