B`desh govt dismisses concern over `special security` in IHC
Dhaka: The government has dismissed
concerns that a reported Indian plan to engage its own
security forces in its High Commission here would undermine
the sovereignty of Bangladesh.
"The embassy or High Commission compound is the
sovereign area of that particular country... the security
arrangement inside it is their internal matter," Foreign
Secretary Mohamed Mijarul Quayes said.
The Foreign Ministry rubbished concerns expressed by
main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) that a
reported Indian plan to engage its own security forces for the
safety of the High Commission in Dhaka would undermine the
Quayes, however, said he was yet to be officially
informed about the Indian plan. He underlined that Bangladesh
would have nothing to oppose unless it contradicted the
His comments came a day after BNP expressed concerns
over a newspaper report that a 50-member special Indian
security force would arrive here for the safety of the High
Commission and the envoy.
BNP secretary general Khandaker Delwar Hossain said
the "unusual and unprecedented" move by India was "not
"We think it is unusual and unprecedented...It is not
acceptable at all and people of an independent country will
not accept it in any way," Hossain told reporters yesterday.
Newspaper reports about the Indian plan came a month
after police arrested four suspected Pakistani and Bangladeshi
operatives of Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) who
allegedly planned to attack the Indian High Commission and the
US embassy in the capital.
A subsequent email threat by unidentified people
prompted authorities to step up security of the Indian envoy
and its High Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery