B`desh govt to abolish caretaker system, BNP to oppose
Dhaka: The government has decided to
abolish the provision for a non-party caretaker government to
conduct Bangladesh`s general elections, a move likely to spark
a political row in the country as it is vehemently opposed by
the main opposition party BNP.
A special parliamentary committee reached the decision
to abolish the caretaker government system in line with a
recent Supreme Court judgment and obtained Prime Minister
Sheikh Hasina nod last night to scrap the constitutional
provision, according to officials and newspaper reports.
Hasina today said the recent apex court verdict
obligated parliament to scrap constitutional provisions to
conduct general elections under a caretaker government.
A "stronger election commission" would now ensure fair
polls under the proposed electronic voting process, she said
at press conference in the capital.
"The Appellate Division (of Supreme Court) verdict
came when a process was underway to amend the
constitution...nobody has any scope under the constitution to
take a stand against the Supreme Court," she underlined, amid
opposition from the Bangladesh Nationalist Party to the
"I have not said `no` to the caretaker system, the
Supreme Court said `no` to the system," Hasina underlined.
Asked if her ruling Awami League would have joined
elections under a party government had it be in the
opposition, Hasina answered in the affirmative.
"Why not, the elections are held under the election
commission, not under the government...we have a strong
election commission equipped with a digital voter list with
photographs while the next elections will be held with the
help of electronic voting system which buries all scopes of
poll rigging," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands