B`desh HC orders instant actions against arbitration caning
Dhaka: Bangladesh`s High Court has ordered government to take action against extra judicial punishments like beating or caning in the name of arbitration, mediation or conciliation.
A High Court bench comprising judges Syed Mahbub Hossain and Quamrul Islam Siddiqui issued the order upon police, local government bodies and right groups also asking them to provide the victims of such extra-legal penalties with security and protection.
The bench in a simultaneous order demanded a government explanation in two weeks particularly from the police chief for their failure to act in time and to comply with their
legal and constitutional duties in taking effective measures to prevent the imposition and execution of extra-legal penalties.
The order came as several human rights groups filed a writ petition seeking the court intervention against extra judicial punishments with lawyer Sara Hossain saying the
country witnessed 39 such incidents in the recent past as the government failed to prevent the imposition of extra judicial penalties.
Hossain cited some reports of women and men being subject to extra-judicial punishment such as caning in rural arbitration, often in the presence of or with the participation of local government bodies like municipalities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in