B`desh police look for ship that carried arms for Indian militants
Dhaka: Bangladesh police are trying to identify the ship that carried 10 truck-loads of arms and ammunition meant for an Indian militant outfit in 2004, a media report said.
The police have been able to ferret out information from senior officials involved in shipping the contraband consignment, a media report said.
The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) say that the identity of the ship could help get the information about who sent the arms and ammunition, The Daily Star said on Sunday.
Earlier, reports have said the consignment was meant for the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) that operates in India`s Assam state.
Its top leaders are hiding in Bangladesh and operating bases from there, a charge Dhaka denied earlier but has now been pursuing vigorously since the change of government in January.
During the investigations and trial before a court in Chittagong town, the ship was said to belong to a company owned by Salahuddin Qader Chowdhury, a senior lawmaker belonging to former prime minister Khaleda Zia`s Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP).
Moniruzzaman Chowdhury, investigating officer of the case told BSS, the official news agency of Bangladesh, that though it was difficult to identify the vessel, they were trying hard to find it out by interrogating all suspects found involved in the process of unloading and transporting the smuggled consignment.
The consignment, reportedly purchased from China, was brought to the port by trawlers and the ship left the Bangladeshi waters April 1, 2004.
The authorities have jailed two former Bangladesh Army generals, Major General Rezaqul Hyder Chowdhury and Brigadier General Abdur Rahim who held top posts in the intelligence outfits - National Security Intelligence (NSI) and the Directorate General of Field intelligence (DGFI).
Among the civilian officers being interrogated is former home secretary Abdul Karim.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!