B`desh steps up troop deployment on Myanmar border
Dhaka: Amid growing diplomatic tension
between Bangladesh and Myanmar, Dhaka has reinforced troops
deployment along the border with its eastern neighbour as it
protested against erecting of a border fence by Yangon.
The border guard Bangladesh Rifles has cancelled all
but essential leaves as tension mounted along the
Naikhyangchhari border in Bandarban after Myanmar resumed
border fencing on Friday. Myanmar also reinforced army
deployment on its side of the border.
The Home Ministry asked the Director General of the
Bangladesh Rifles to keep their forces "on alert" along the
"Troop deployment in the border has been reinforced
and all but essential leaves of BDR personnel have been
cancelled," Major General Mohammad Mainul Islam, Director
General of the Bangladesh Rifles, was quoted as saying by the
New Age newspaper today.
Islam said BDR troops had been deployed along
sensitive areas in the border and other preparation had also
Dhaka may need to resume diplomatic efforts to stop
intrusion of Myanmar citizens into the Bangladesh territory
seeking shelter or employment, a home ministry official said,
adding intrusion into Bangladesh was damaging the country`s
overseas labour market and reputation of its workers.
"Most of the illegal migrant workers, including
boatmen in Cox’s Bazar, Bandarban and other places along the
Bangladesh coast are Myanmar citizens," a source said, quoting
an intelligence agency report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video