B`desh steps up troop deployment on Myanmar border
Dhaka: Amid growing diplomatic tension
between Bangladesh and Myanmar, Dhaka has reinforced troops
deployment along the border with its eastern neighbour as it
protested against erecting of a border fence by Yangon.
The border guard Bangladesh Rifles has cancelled all
but essential leaves as tension mounted along the
Naikhyangchhari border in Bandarban after Myanmar resumed
border fencing on Friday. Myanmar also reinforced army
deployment on its side of the border.
The Home Ministry asked the Director General of the
Bangladesh Rifles to keep their forces "on alert" along the
"Troop deployment in the border has been reinforced
and all but essential leaves of BDR personnel have been
cancelled," Major General Mohammad Mainul Islam, Director
General of the Bangladesh Rifles, was quoted as saying by the
New Age newspaper today.
Islam said BDR troops had been deployed along
sensitive areas in the border and other preparation had also
Dhaka may need to resume diplomatic efforts to stop
intrusion of Myanmar citizens into the Bangladesh territory
seeking shelter or employment, a home ministry official said,
adding intrusion into Bangladesh was damaging the country`s
overseas labour market and reputation of its workers.
"Most of the illegal migrant workers, including
boatmen in Cox’s Bazar, Bandarban and other places along the
Bangladesh coast are Myanmar citizens," a source said, quoting
an intelligence agency report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report