B`desh to file charge sheet in BDR massacre: Official

Last Updated: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 20:44

Dhaka: Authorities in Bangladesh will
file charge sheet against 600 personnel linked to the massacre
during last year`s BDR mutiny in the capital that led the
killing of 57 army officers.

Ahead of the first anniversary of the mutiny, the
authorities were ready to submit the charge sheet next week in
the carnage that killed 73 people, including the Bangladesh
Riffles chief Major General Shakil Ahmed.
"We have completed the investigation and are expecting
to file the charge sheet in the next seven days, naming over
600 BDR soldiers for trial under Speedy Trial Tribunal for
their direct involvement in the massacre," a senior official
of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) was quoted as
saying by the state-run BSS news agency today.

The official on condition of anonymity said the
massacre suspects were identified from among some 2,100
detained paramilitary border guards present at the BDR?s
Pilkhana Headquarters in the capital.

Last year, Bangladesh set up six "special courts" to
try the suspected rebellious soldiers for mutiny.

The BDR constituted the courts headed by its Director
General Major General Mainul Islam to try the soldiers for
staging the mutiny and looting weapons in the February 25-26
mutiny.
CID officials earlier said they had detained 2,159
people, including 35 civilians in the case. Nasir Uddin Ahmed
Pintu, a former lawmaker of main opposition Bangladesh
Nationalist Party (BNP), was also detained for their suspected
involvement in the mutiny.

"We, however, found some 100 BDR soldiers to be
innocent who are likely to be released after the filing of the
charge sheet," the unnamed official said.

The government has decided to mark February 25 as the
`Peelkhana Killing Day` in the memory of those who died in the
two-day mutiny.

PTI



First Published: Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 20:44

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus