BDR to get new name, uniform to overcome mutiny stigma
Dhaka: The paramilitary Bangladesh Rifles
is to be renamed as Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) as part of a
massive restructuring plan to help it overcome the stigma of
the February 25-26 bloody mutiny at its headquarters which
left 57 army officers dead.
A proposal to rename the force, change its uniform to a
distinct, logo and organisational structures was okayed by
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina yesterday, officials said.
Under the restructuring, the personnel will wear a
brown-coloured uniform, apparently to differentiate them from
The change of name of the force comes six months after
the February rebellion, when the paramilitary personnel
mutinied spraying senior officers with bullets to protest what
they claimed was "deprivation".
Though officials said more time would be needed to go
into "concrete proposals," they were silent on key
restructuring issues like whether and how many Army officers
would continue to be on deputation with the force.
The mutineers also killed eight civilians, eight fellow
BDR soldiers exposing the Hasina government, which was then
less than two months in power, to its worst crisis.
"The Prime Minister chose the new name from several
proposed names. She also chose the brown combat colour for the
uniform and directed to bring slight changes to the BDR
insignia," Commerce Minister Faruk Khan who was present at the
meeting told reporters.
- ED summons former Air Chief Marshal S.P. Tyagi
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Ex-servicemen suspend OROP protest, threaten to intensify agitation if demands not met
- West Bengal goes for fifth phase of polling on Saturday
- Tajikistan bans Russian-style surnames for children
- S&P keeps UK on triple-A rating, says expects no Brexit
- Google Translate turns 10: Five interesting things you want to know about it