Beckham visits British troops in Afghanistan
London: British soccer ace David Beckham risked his safety by jetting into Afghanistan to raise the morale of troops fighting in the war-torn country.
The sports superstar left British RAF airbase Brize Norton in Oxford, England, on Friday and arrived in the war zone in night, reports telegraph.co.uk.
He will make the rounds of the British Army`s base in the nation`s Helmand province and hopes to boost the soldiers` spirits with his surprise visit.
"I have nothing but admiration for these young men and women and it makes me very proud to be British. I`ve wanted to visit Afghanistan for a long time and I hope that in some way it helps remind everyone at home what an amazing job they are doing out here (sic) in very difficult conditions. I feel very humble," Beckham said before leaving from England.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'