Belarusian embassy in Kyrgyzstan attacked
Bishkek: Relatives of victims of the 2010 uprising in Kyrgyzstan threw stones at the embassy of Belarus here, demanding extradition of the former Kyrgyz president and his brother who are accused of mass murder.
An embassy official said dozens of people Tuesday threw stones at the embassy building, breaking windows, but "no embassy employees were injured in the attack".
The protesters called for severing diplomatic ties between the two states, accusing Minsk of harbouring the "murderers", and demanded to see the Belarusian ambassador.
Bishkek recalled its ambassador from Minsk last week after images of the former Kyrgyz president`s brother and his two assistants taken near a restaurant in Minsk appeared on the internet.
Former Kyrgyz president Kurmanbek Bakiyev and many of his relatives and supporters fled the country and went into exile after a mass uprising in April 2010 that ousted him.
Bakiyev and his brother Zhanybek, who then headed the National Guard Service, are accused of giving the order to open fire on protesters, leading to the death of about 90 people, and injuries to 1,000.
Zhanybek is also accused of triple murder of former presidential administration chief Medet Sadyrkulov, chief of the International Institute of Strategic Studies Sergei Slepchenko, and driver Kubat Sulaimanov.
Opposition forces, brought to power by the revolt, put the two brothers on the international wanted list and the Interpol has issued a red notice for them.
Kyrgyzstan has repeatedly asked Belarus to honour its international legal commitments and extradite the Bakiyevs.
Kyrgyz foreign ministry spokesman Nurzhigit Kadyrbekov said Tuesday the country would demand the extradition of the Bakiyev brothers via international organisations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Hope intellectuals from India, China take part in Mind and Life conference: Dalai Lama
- Despite carnage, Syria`s Aleppo not in fighting `freeze`
- AP Board SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5
- Deal reached in Ireland to form minority government: Party
- Venkaiah Naidu, Siddaramaiah flag off south India's first underground Metro