Belarusian embassy in Kyrgyzstan attacked
Bishkek: Relatives of victims of the 2010 uprising in Kyrgyzstan threw stones at the embassy of Belarus here, demanding extradition of the former Kyrgyz president and his brother who are accused of mass murder.
An embassy official said dozens of people Tuesday threw stones at the embassy building, breaking windows, but "no embassy employees were injured in the attack".
The protesters called for severing diplomatic ties between the two states, accusing Minsk of harbouring the "murderers", and demanded to see the Belarusian ambassador.
Bishkek recalled its ambassador from Minsk last week after images of the former Kyrgyz president`s brother and his two assistants taken near a restaurant in Minsk appeared on the internet.
Former Kyrgyz president Kurmanbek Bakiyev and many of his relatives and supporters fled the country and went into exile after a mass uprising in April 2010 that ousted him.
Bakiyev and his brother Zhanybek, who then headed the National Guard Service, are accused of giving the order to open fire on protesters, leading to the death of about 90 people, and injuries to 1,000.
Zhanybek is also accused of triple murder of former presidential administration chief Medet Sadyrkulov, chief of the International Institute of Strategic Studies Sergei Slepchenko, and driver Kubat Sulaimanov.
Opposition forces, brought to power by the revolt, put the two brothers on the international wanted list and the Interpol has issued a red notice for them.
Kyrgyzstan has repeatedly asked Belarus to honour its international legal commitments and extradite the Bakiyevs.
Kyrgyz foreign ministry spokesman Nurzhigit Kadyrbekov said Tuesday the country would demand the extradition of the Bakiyev brothers via international organisations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...