Benazir Bhutto assassination: `Pakistan keeping UN letter under wraps`
Islamabad: The Pakistan government has kept secret a ‘strongly worded’ letter of the UN written in reaction to the country’s response to an inquiry report on Benazir Bhutto assassination, it has emerged.
The letter was written by Ambassador Heraldo Munoz, the head of a three-member inquiry commission on Benazir assassination, after then foreign minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi sent a reply to the UN in July 2010 raising serious objections to the 60-page UN report released on April 15, 2010.
According to the Dawn, Haroon is believed to have met with UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and requested him not to release the substantive part of the letter.
The request was accepted, the paper said.
Foreign Office spokesman Moazzam Khan expressed ignorance about the letter and said he would have to get information from relevant officers.
According to the paper, Qureshi confirmed that the UN letter was lying with the Foreign Office, but he declined to comment on it.
But he regretted that even after a lapse of five years, the PPP government had failed to expose the faces behind the assassination, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof