`Benazir killed for backing Lal Masjid operation`
Islamabad: Former Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto was assassinated for supporting the Lal Masjid operation, an anti-terrorism court has been told.
Dawn quoted Magistrate Taufiq Ahmed, who recorded confessional statements of the accused Rafaqat Hussain, Husnain Gul and Aitzaz Shah on February 13, 2008 as saying that they wanted to kill Bhutto because of the deaths of 23 people in the operation.
Regretting the incident, the accused said they would accept any punishment awarded to them, Ahmed added.
The then president Pervez Musharraf ordered the Lal Masjid operation against fundamentalist Islamic militants in July 2007.
On Saturday, during the hearing of the Bhutto assassination case in Rawalpindi`s Central Jail, the magistrate read out the confessional statements before the anti-terrorism court.
According to the statements, the accused received Rs 360,000 from militant leader Baitullah Mehsood while his associates, Abdullah alias Saddam and Qari Ismail, provided them two suicide bombers Saeed alias Bilal and Ikramullah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy