`Benazir killed for backing Lal Masjid operation`
Islamabad: Former Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto was assassinated for supporting the Lal Masjid operation, an anti-terrorism court has been told.
Dawn quoted Magistrate Taufiq Ahmed, who recorded confessional statements of the accused Rafaqat Hussain, Husnain Gul and Aitzaz Shah on February 13, 2008 as saying that they wanted to kill Bhutto because of the deaths of 23 people in the operation.
Regretting the incident, the accused said they would accept any punishment awarded to them, Ahmed added.
The then president Pervez Musharraf ordered the Lal Masjid operation against fundamentalist Islamic militants in July 2007.
On Saturday, during the hearing of the Bhutto assassination case in Rawalpindi`s Central Jail, the magistrate read out the confessional statements before the anti-terrorism court.
According to the statements, the accused received Rs 360,000 from militant leader Baitullah Mehsood while his associates, Abdullah alias Saddam and Qari Ismail, provided them two suicide bombers Saeed alias Bilal and Ikramullah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?