Benazir killing probe almost complete: Gilani
Islamabad: Four years after former premier
Benazir Bhutto was assassinated, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza
Gilani has said the probe into the incident was almost
complete and the ruling PPP will decide whether to make the
"(Bhutto`s) killing was not only of national importance
but it was an international issue. The investigation has been
almost completed and the matter is sub-judice," Gilani told
reporters at the Bhutto family`s mausoleum in Garhi Khuda
Speaking after he offered prayers at Benazir Bhutto`s
grave, Gilani said the central executive committee of the
Pakistan People’s Party would decide whether any aspect of
the investigation’s findings could be made public.
If such a decision is made, the Interior Minister will
share the details with the people, he said.
Responding to a volley of questions on the government`s
perceived failure to prosecute those responsible for Bhutto`s
assassination, Gilani said, "I don`t want the inquiry to be
affected in any manner."
Benazir Bhutto twice served as Prime Minister in the late
1980s and 1990s but was unable to complete both terms.
After being removed on charges of corruption during her
second term, she went into self-exile in 1998.
She returned to Pakistan in late 2007 under a secret
agreement with then military ruler Pervez Musharraf.
Weeks after her homecoming, she was killed by a suicide
bomber shortly after addressing an election rally in
Rawalpindi on December 27, 2007.
An anti-terrorism court is conducting the trial of five
suspected terrorists charged with involvement in Bhutto`s
assassination and two police officers accused of negligence in
providing her security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore