Bhutto assassination: UN team meets ISI chief
Islamabad: The UN panel probing the assassination of Pakistan’s former premier Benazir Bhutto has met Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) director General Lt Gen Ahmed Shuja Pasha here as part of its investigation.
According to reports, the meet came a day after President Asif Ali Zardari permitted the visiting UN team to record statements of ISI’s director, Chief of Army Staff Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, and other senior military officers.
In the latest news report, the three-member UN team managed to get Zardari’s nod during a meeting at the Presidency yesterday.
The team called on Pasha immediately after the meeting at the agency’s Islamabad headquarters.
During the meeting, Zardari said the people of Pakistan are awaiting the findings of the UN panel probing the assassination of his wife so that the circumstances behind her death could be fully uncovered.
"The whole nation awaits the findings of the UN Commission so that the causes and the circumstances that led to such a great loss for the nation could be completely unearthed," Zardari told members of the panel currently visiting Pakistan during a meeting.
The commission was originally scheduled to submit its report to the UN Secretary General within six months from starting its investigation in June last year.
However, the time for completing the task was extended by three months as the report could not be completed in the stipulated timeframe.
The commission will submit its report to the UN Secretary General and also share it with the Pakistan government, presidential spokesman Farhatullah Babar said.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?